I like to try different things when brainstorming. The following work really well:
1. Walking, especially hills, which is a shame as there aren’t many in Melbourne
2. Sitting in a cafe, with only a cappuccino for company.
3. Starting from a very large piece of paper with one key word written in the middle. The word right now is “krill”.
And these don’t:
1. Drinking beer in a bar (tried this just now at the King of Tonga and got easily distracted)
2. Working off something someone told me would make a great cartoon
Strangely, kite-flying is rubbish for brain-storming. I came up with 3 ideas, but they were generated when I was walking to the beach and to the bar. Needs too much concentration, I guess, or maybe the kite is just too mesmerising.